Potato Leafhopper Management in Alfalfa
- Use of the sequential sampling plan will indicate the presence of an economic population.
N=No management needed at this time, M=Management needed as soon as possible
- Early harvest of alfalfa can be effective in controlling economic populations. When harvesting, remember the following rules:
- Clean harvest whole fields.
- Green-chopping in strips is a poor management practice.
- Chemical control is sometimes necessary when economic populations occur early in the cutting. Consult the current Cornell recommendations for potato leafhopper larval control.
- Treat only fields with a canopy adequate for spray reception.
- Clean harvest whole fields to eliminate harborage sites.
- Document all actions taken.
- Recheck fields after harvest to determine population status.