Program Staff: John Gibbons
NYSAES, Geneva, 315.787.2608
Ontario County Cooperative Extension, 716.394.3977
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND RELATED PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- A.A.S., Ornamental Horticulture And Landscape Development, Finger Lakes Community College, 1983
- A.A.S., Natural Resources Conservation, Finger Lakes Community College, 1978
- Worked as a scout for growers in 1997-98 and as a technician for Cornell Cooperative Extension from 1998-92 part-time seasonal.
- Maintain an agricultural weather network for the IPM Program. Assist growers and extension personnel in purchasing and repairing weather equipment. Evaluate and implement new crop forecasting tools for the NEWA website. Assist in designing a website for easy access for growers, processors and extension agents.
- Oversee the weather network for the IPM Program.
- Repair and maintain weather equipment
- Evaluate new crop forecasting tools and assist in implementing those forecast to the NEWA website.
- Keep abreast of changing weather technology and apply the technology to the IPM Program, growers and extension weather network.
Accomplishments (Past Five Years)
- Maintain a weather network of approximately 40 weather instruments that provide data inputs for disease and insect forecasts for onions, potatoes, grapes, apples, and field crops.
- Developed a website for displaying crop forecast and weather information.
- Maintain and purchase weather equipment and other technology to implement the weather network. Assist growers and provide information on weather technology.
- Produce a newsletter that provides weather and crop forecast related information.