• Maintain crop
production activity records by field, including harvest date,
pesticides used, nutrient inputs including manure, etc.
• Check fall harvest equipment, sharpen chopper knives, check
shear clearances, check protective shields on all harvest machinery
• Check bunkers and silos. Prepare for corn silage.
• Mow weeds around barn, grain storage bins, farm buildings,
pastures, control weeds, brambles.
Alfalfa & Hay:
• Continue monitoring for potato leafhopper -harvest early
or spray on basis of need.
• Monitor fields for weeds and diseases: record information
on type and location for future cropping decisions.
• Harvest third cutting of alfalfa about 40 days after second
• Record hay yields by field and quality by storage facility;
take samples for forage analysis
• Observe corn for weeds, stalk rots / lodging, and nutrient
and moisture deficiencies
• Monitor for soybean aphid (SBA), soybean rust, pod, stem
and foliar diseases. When checking for SBA, look for winged
forms as an indication that the population may soon leave the
• Continue manure management and release of biological control
agents (parasitic wasps) for house fly and stable fly control.
• Monitor young stock for cattle lice and mange mites
• Check condition of pastures and animals on pastures:
-Evaluate need for face fly, horn fly, and stable fly control